This baking soda and coconut oil face mask for acne scars will deeply cleanse the skin, exfoliate, and prevent acne all in one!
Benefits of Coconut Oil for the Skin
Rich in fatty acids, coconut oil is not only great at moisturizing the skin. But because it also increases skin elasticity, it can be anti-aging, as well. The seemingly magical oil also contains many antioxidants, especially vitamin E, which means it can protect skin from free radical damage.
Benefits of Baking Soda for the Skin
Baking soda is alkaline in nature which helps soften the sebum and debris on the face. It also clears and opens up pores and absorbs excess oil which aids in preventing the clogging of pores. A facial wash with baking soda can help in whitening your skin.
This baking soda and coconut oil face mask can also be used as a face wash. And makes a great substitute for commercial skin cleansers which are often times laden with harsh chemicals.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mix the baking soda with the coconut oil until well combined.
- Apply the mixture to cleansed skin and rub in slow, circular motions to remove any dirt, buildup, and dead skin cells.
- Leave the mask on for 5-10 minutes (5 minutes for sensitive skin, and 10 minutes for oily skin).
- Remove the mask with warm water or a warm washcloth.
- Rinse off any leftover residue using cold water to close up the pores.
- Use 2-3 times a week to reverse the signs of aging, brighten skin, prevent acne, and reduce the appearance of scars and dark spots.
- After using the mask, help close up pores by using a green tea toner. Brew some organic green tea and let cool in the refrigerator for about an hour. Use a cotton round to apply the green tea to your skin.
- Like with any homemade beauty recipe, please test a small patch on your hand or arm before applying the face.
- For those with sensitive skin, only leave the mask on for 5 minutes and use no more than once a week.
- For those with acne prone and oily skin, add a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to help remove acne scars and dark spots.
- You can also add a drop or two of your favorite essential oils such as tea tree oil (for oily/acne prone skin), or lavender oil for sensitive skin.